Sustainability: Our Journey to Net Zero
In relentless pursuit of a greener future, we have made a commitment to help our customers decarbonise the steelmaking process.
Our decarbonisation roadmap targets a reduction in our carbon intensity of approximately 30% by 2028, while also striving to make our processes more “green”. This will be achieved by focussing on the areas of recycling, re-formulation, energy efficiency and eco-friendly logistics.
We are looking at this from two perspectives
- Reducing the CO2 per tonne of our product
- Reducing the refractory CO2 per tonne of liquid steel for our customers
- Developing new formulations that utilise less energy intensive grades of magnesia
- Deploying formulations with increased reclaimed material without impacting performance
- Improving Energy efficiency of our operations and offices
- Prioritizing the most eco-friendly logistics solutions available
- Developing models to evaluate impact of lining performance and composition on the refractory CO2 per tonne of liquid steel
Reaching net zero
- We are committed to net zero by 2050
- We appreciate that this requires new technological breakthroughs, and we are monitoring and increasingly ramping up efforts on this longer-horizon
- We recognize that decarbonising the steel industry will require new steel-making processes that will bring new challenges to refractory linings. Our Technical team is ready to work with you to find solutions to these challenges as they arise.
- This isn’t a journey any company can make alone, and we are collaborating across the value chain on new ways to achieve a greener future